Semester Credit Hour Overload
Course Overloads Heading link
Students who wish to take more than 18 credit hours in the fall or spring semester, or more than 12 credit hours in the summer term, must meet with an LAS academic advisor in an appointment or online drop-in advising to request permission for a credit hour overload. Credit hour overloads are considered on a case by case basis and may be denied.
Considerations used in granting a credit overload include academic history (which may include the following):
- Number of terms completed at UIC
- Course loads (number of hours and rigor) in previous semesters
- Course load (number of credit hours and rigor of courses) in current semster
Credit hour overloads will not be considered for students who:
- Are on academic probation (term or overall)
- Are in their first term at UIC
Credit hour overload approvals may only be requested during the add/drop period at the beginning of the term. Exceptions may be made for students for whom a credit hour overload is required in order to be eligible to graduate.