Differential Tuition Content
UIC is a large, comprehensive public university that offers quality undergraduate science programs and preparatory course work for students interested in health profession programs. The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences assesses differential tuition for science curriculum as the costs associated with providing excellent science education to undergraduates are much higher than the costs in the non-science fields.
Differential tuition is directly used to support the learning environment to ensure that students are exposed to the most up-to-date knowledge in their field. Differential tuition is allocated specifically
- for the recruitment of high-quality teaching faculty who are leaders in their fields.
- for the renovation of teaching laboratories (including the procurement of lab equipment, specimens, computers, and software).
- to offset the increased costs of highly qualified technical staff that are required to maintain and run labs.
Academic Programs Assessed Differential Tuition for students entering Fall 2020 or later:
- Biological Sciences
- Chemistry (BA and BS)
- Computer Science and Linguistics / Pre-Computer Science and Linguistics *
- Earth and Environmental Science
- Integrated Health Studies
- Neuroscience / Pre-Neuroscience
- Physics (BA and BS)
*Assessed College of Engineering’s differential tuition.
**Incoming students will be assigned to the Pre-Health/Pre-Science program and assessed differential tuition if they are undeclared but exploring science curriculum or are actively pursuing the pre-health educational goals listed below. Certain courses, (see below), are considered to be preparatory for pre-health and STEM curricula. Undeclared majors should be aware that if they register for any of the courses listed below, they will be moved to the Pre-Health/Pre-Science major and assessed differential tuition just prior to the tenth day of the term.
Pre-health educational goals that are included in the Pre-Health/Pre-Science program code include:
- Pre-Medicine (M.D./D.O. and podiatric medicine)
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Pre-Veterinary Medicine
Courses included in the Pre-Health/Pre-Science program: CHEM 101, 116, 118, 122, 123, 124, 125, 130.
For questions regarding your program of study, contact your LAS Academic Advisor. (login required)
For questions regarding your educational goal, visit the LAS Pre-Health Advising Webpage.
For tuition and fee information, see the Office of the Registrar Financial Matters.
For financial aid packaging information, see the Office of Financial Aid.
For account or payment plan information, see the Office of Student Financial Services