LAS Undergraduate Research Initiative (LASURI)
LASURI: Undergraduate Research at LAS
The Liberal Arts & Sciences Undergraduate Research Initiative (LASURI) encourages students to develop their research skills by providing financial support to undergraduate students enrolled in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences and their faculty mentors for one- or two-semester research projects.
LAS undergraduate students work closely with a faculty member to develop research skills and learn to propose, design, and complete projects with the guidance and encouragement of a dedicated mentor. The LASURI award is open to undergraduate students in all LAS disciplines.
LASURI research may include archival searches, document and literature review, the composition of annotated bibliographies, design and completion of original research papers, creative/art projects, assisting in laboratories, the design and execution of experiments, fieldwork, mapping, statistical analysis, and information and data analysis, among others. Students do not need an established record of research experience to apply.
LASURI undergraduate recipients receive a scholarship of up to $1250 per semester. Most participants apply and are approved for two-semester projects, receiving up to $2500 for the full year. LASURI faculty mentors receive a fixed amount to assist with costs associated with the student’s project. The application process takes place once a year, during the spring semester, and applies to the following academic year.
LASURI aims to:
- develop the research, communication, and leadership skills of undergraduate students.
- provide pathways for long-term faculty-student mentorship relationships.
- facilitate the development of mutually beneficial research partnerships between undergraduates and faculty members.
- improve undergraduates’ awareness of research opportunities within LAS.
- prepare undergraduate students for post-baccalaureate academic and professional opportunities.
- encourage faculty to incorporate undergraduate research into their scholarly activities.
- foster intellectual and social community among UIC undergraduates.
What's in it for you?
Conducting research under the guidance of a dedicated faculty member strengthens your academic skillset and opens important pathways for self-realization and future professional success. It gives you an exciting opportunity to learn more about yourself, your academic talents, and your future professional potential.
When students conduct research in a partnership with faculty, they develop strong working relationships with peers and professors, gain confidence in their ability to work independently and in groups, develop important analytical and communication skills, and gain key insights about post-college opportunities and pathways.
Liberal Arts and Sciences Undergraduate Research Initiative (LASURI)
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
University of Illinois at Chicago
601 S. Morgan Street
Chicago, IL 60607-7104