Event Schedule Released for Asian American Awareness Month at UIC
The scheduled list of events planned for Asian American Awareness Month at UIC has been released by UIC News. Under the banner of "A Celebration of Culture and Consciousness," the University will celebrate with cultural events, performances, lectures, a film and other presentations. All events are free and open to the public unless otherwise noted. Here is an outline of events; full information can be found via this link.
- Asian American Awareness Month Kickoff with DJ Noyze and FIA Modern. 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. Lecture Center Quad, located outside directly west of Student Center East, 750 S. Halsted St. (In case of rain, event will be held in Student Center East, Room 302, 750 S. Halsted St.)
- H.E.R.O.E.S. (Helping Everyone Realize Our Everyday Struggles). Talent and variety show. 6:30 – 9:30 p.m. Student Center East, Illinois Room, 750 S. Halsted St.
- My Sassy Korea. Food, games, karaoke and information booths. 4 – 7 p.m. Student Center East, Room 302, 750 S. Halsted St.
- Silencing Stigma: Speaking Out. Features stories dramatizing mental health issues of Asian American and Middle Eastern storytellers. 4 – 6 p.m. James Stukel Towers, event center, 718 W. Rochford St.
- Sayawan. Annual year-end formal held by Filipinos in Alliance. Doors open at 6 p.m.; dinner at 7:30 p.m. Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza, 350 West Mart Center Dr. $35 individual; $60 couples.
- “India Night.” Dancing, singing and acting highlight Indian culture and heritage. 6:30 – 10 p.m. UIC Forum, 725 W. Roosevelt Road. $8 per person.
- “Robots and the Philippines’ Cybraceros.” Asian American Studies Colloquium featuring talk by Anna Guevarra, LAS associate professor and director of Asian American studies. Noon – 1 p.m. University Hall, Room 850, 601 S. Morgan St.
- “ImaginAsian.” Fashion and variety show. Performers include The ArchiTEKS dance group. 6 – 10 p.m. Student Center East, Illinois Room, 750 S. Halsted St.
- “Cambodian Son.” Film screening and discussion with Masahiro Sugano, director of a new documentary on exiled American spoken word poet Kosal Khiev. 3 – 5 p.m. Gallery 400, 400 S. Peoria St.
- Phil Yu, Angry Asian Man! Phil Yu, keynote speaker for Asian American Awareness Month and founder of the AngryAsianMan.com blog, to discuss Asian American issues and concerns. 4 – 6 p.m. Student Center East, Cardinal Room, 750 S. Halsted. St.
- “Mr. & Mrs. Asian Sensation.” Annual male and female pageant and talent competition. 5:30 – 9 p.m. Student Center East, Illinois Room, 750 S. Halsted St.
- Are You Doctor Yet? Asian students showcase their musical and artistic talents in this American Idol-based show. 6 – 9 p.m. Student Center East, Cardinal Room, 750 S. Halsted St.
- ASAM Expo. Academic fair celebrating Asian American undergraduate research projects in the arts and sciences. 4 – 6 p.m. Student Center East, Room 302, 750 S. Halsted St.
- “Out of the Basement: This is Our Art.” One day exhibit of historic and contemporary art showcasing Chicagoland Asian American experiences. Exhibit opens at Noon. Reception: 5 – 7 p.m. Jane Addams Hull-House Museum, 800 S. Halsted St.
- “UPROOT: Believe.” Benefit concert featuring Filipino American student performances. Proceeds benefit Believe International, a non-profit organization providing education to disadvantaged youth in the Philippines. 6 – 10 p.m. Student Center East, Illinois Room, 750 S. Halsted St. $7 UIC students; $10 non-UIC students.
Source: UIC News’ Brian Flood